I just tried using pg_pconnect() and I didn't notice any significant improvement. What bothers me most is that with Postgres I tend to see jerky behavior on almost every page: the upper 1/2 or 2/3 of the page is displayed first and you can see a blank bottom (or you can see a half-filled completion bar). With MySQL each page is generally displayed in one swoop.

Persistent connections are useful when your page is fast and the connection time is an important part of your page time. It is mandatory if you want to serve more than 20-50 hits/s without causing unnecessary load on the database. This is not your case, which is why you don't notice any improvement...

              http://archives.postgresql.org