"Merlin Moncure" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> ok, mingw gprof is claiming MainLoop is a culprit here,

The only thing I can see that would be different for Windows is the
SetConsoleCtrlHandler kernel call ... could that be expensive?  Why
do we have either sigsetjmp or setup_cancel_handler inside the per-line
loop, rather than just before it?

There is a lot of stuff in MainLoop that doesn't seem like it really
needs to be done on every single line, particularly not the repeated
fetching of psql variables that couldn't possibly change except inside
HandleSlashCmds.  But that all ought to be the same on Unix or Windows.

                        regards, tom lane