I hope you realise that 9.1 is EOLed - http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/
postgresql-9-1-end-of-life/

Which means that the version that you are using will not receive any
updates which includes critical updates to performance and security.

If I were you, I would work on the issues that stops me from upgrading, but
that is my opinion.

As pavel said, you could use a physical backup instead of pg dump.