Actually, I think this may be the way Oracle Hot Backups work.  It was my
impression that feature temporarily suspends writes into a specific
tablespace so you can take a snapshot of it.  It has been a few years since
I've had to do Oracle work though and I could be mis-remembering.  People
may be confusing Oracle and PostgreSQL.