Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 09:13:09 +0200
From: steph...@free.fr
To: pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org
Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] Nautilus questions

    Sorry but reading code is really important and now assistant is
    taking too much space.

    And your proposal does not take into account hierarchy and I use it
    all the time.

    The same way we use all the time variables.

    Stef

    Le 19/8/15 11:50, Esteban Lorenzano a
      écrit :

          On 19 Aug 2015, at 11:44, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goub...@gmail.com>
            wrote:

                      <Screen
                          Shot 2015-08-19 at 11.10.41.png>

                      … but arriving to it is not so
                        easy.

                      In conclusion: We are doing some
                        right steps. It is not finished, but we are not
                        going to go back to older way :)

                  Hi Esteban,

                  My opinion is that you're still tied a
                    lot to the Smalltalk 80's way... Which is good:
                    someone coming from 1980 would be able to use
                    Nautilus ;)

                  My critics on that design: the tabs are
                    nice and certainly help see that a class has a class
                    side. Overall look is more up to date. Tabs headers,
                    scroll bars, etc... take far too much space: work
                    area (the code area) is 39% of overall window size,
                    and 68% counting in the context (package, class,
                    protocol and method) (Numbers are worse on a small
                    window, of course, but I guess some do work on small
                    screens).

                  It will be nice to see simpler / cleaner
                    Nautilus code coming along :)

        yes, of course you are right :)
        the GTools guys are working in a complete replacement, and
          I’m sure it will be a lot better… but we will always need a
          backdoor… and I would like to have a good browser even as a
          backdoor.
        (also, our philosophy is incremental: we improve what we
          have while we wait for the break-thru improvements)

        Esteban

      ps: for me the “code area” is not equivalent to the “work
        area”: I spend much more time understanding a problem than
        coding it, and for that a view of the method *in the context* is
        better)

                  Thierry