On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:
> I'll try once more to explain.
>
> You like the catalog, don't you ?  It was your idea in the first place. With
> this feature you can just type XML, CSV, JSON or whatever and it will suggest
> a couple of catalog projects that you can install with just one click, no
> need to open any tool you don't even know. This is especially good for new
> people. IT IS A FANTASTIC FEATURE, IT IS THE WAY THINGS SHOULD WORK. It
> leverages all the work put in the catalog.
>
> Is Spotter or any other part of Pharo perfect ? No.
>
> For many people, Spotter make a huge functional difference, we use it every
> minute. If it would hang or block the image even once a day, any of us would
> complain loudly.
>
> Conclusion: it works for 99% of the people/cases.
>
> Even in the 1% where there is a problem, it is not 100% sure it is related to
> the catalog searching. In the last concrete issue reported, the guy tried
> disabling the catalog searching AND IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE !
>
> So again, why turn it off ? It is an overreaction, not engineering.
>
> The underlying problem is that in some very rare, hard to reproduce cases we
> cannot reliably detect that there is no network. That's about it.

If the root cause is a blocking system call e.g....
"NetNameResolver class>>#addressForName: sometimes hangs when there is
no network"
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?18281&;

this seems very hard to fix at the Image level, except maybe doing
in-Image name resolution instead of relying on the system library. I
found this...
http://forum.world.st/ANN-DnsClient-More-protocol-fun-td2303225.html

and...
http://www.squeaksource.com/dnsclient.html