I fail to see what is user friendly about Monticello , I find its GUI and
the total workflow really bad, certainly the worst VCS GUI I have ever
used. But I will admit this is my personal taste and my opinion that can be
safely ignore.

StHub on the other hand is whole different situation.

My criticism about StHub unlike Monticello are not opinion based, they are
fact based, StHub is unmaintaned , with the usual failures prompting
Esteban to reset the whole thing and lacking the most fundamental features
like a sophisticated search facility and any form of browsing. I could go
on, but I think the shortcomings are obvious. That's no bashing, its a
statement of facts.

On the subject of file based code, I wonder what you use for Pharo VCS
because the default Pharo VCS is basically zip (mcz extension) files
containing source code files , the usual text files with the "st"
extension. If you mean the fact of actually worrying about the files
themselves, the only worrying you do with Git is for the gitignore file (if
you actually use one) that basically there can be listed what files or
directories should be ignored by Git. The rest are done automagically by
Filetree, GitFileTree or in my case my Git GUI client.

I also never said "Do not use Pharo VCS" , if that is what rocks your boat,
but to actual claim that Pharo VCS is more reliable, easier to use and more
powerful would require a huge leap of faith because from the very first
experience it pretty crystal clear that is not.

And there is not just Git, there are plenty of other VCS out there that are
just light years ahead, some probably better than Git.

But I have no problem if some people prefer to use the old VCS instead of
Git. I am not here to impose my workflow and I never stated that we should.

As a matter of fact I do not mind any choice the community makes as long as
I have freedom to choose my own tools and my own workflow.