> On 6 Oct 2017, at 14:54, horrido <horrido.hobb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I received this comment from someone who complained:
>
> *What about the lack of documentation? From time to time I’ve checked some
> SmallTalk implementations like Squeak, GNU-Smalltalk and now Pharo. Of
> these, only GNU-SmallTalk appears to have a free, official programming guide
> and core library reference that any serious programmer expects from a
> language.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual-base/html_node/*
>
> I pointed to Pharo's documentation but then he came back with:
>
> *Then show me a link of the free, maintained reference documentation for the
> classes that form “the core library”, like this one for Python
> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html)*
>
> It's true, most Smalltalks do not have a core library reference, not even
> VisualWorks! So what is the proper response to this complaint?

The first answer is that Pharo/Smalltalk is unique in that a running system/IDE
contains _all_ source code, _all_ documentation (class, method, help,
tutorial), _all_ unit tests and _all_ runnable examples in a very easy,
accessible way. It takes some getting used to, but this is actually better and
much more powerful than any alternative.

The second answer is that there are lots of books and articles that take the
classic/structured book/paper approach. There is http://books.pharo.org,
http://themoosebook.org, http://book.seaside.st/book,
http://medium.com/concerning-pharo and many more.