Hello, Greg:

I cannot speak for the "high-rollers," in the hobby, but from my
perspective, phonographs have not been a particular good "investment." For
many years, I
was a sucker for beautiful, Diamond Disk Laboratory  models. Most of the "Lab
Models"  I own, or have owned in  the past, are worth little, if any more
than they were in the  1970's, when I bought most of them. The truly rare
machines, and more  desirable open-horn machines have appreciated consierably,
but
the  "ordinary" phonos have not gone up all that much.

I think ebay is partly responsible for this. Quite a few people, myself
included, found out that our machines are not as rare as we thought, and
prices
have drifted downward for a number of years. My Triumph Model A is a  good
example of this. For years, I could say I owned the only one I'd ever seen.
Hah!
Now, I realize that I just don't get out much.

Some of my records are another matter. The more desirable titles and  numbers
have done quite well, from a "speculator" point of view, but that was  just
dumb luck.

Randy Minor