And herein we find evidence of at least two classes of "collector" --
another aspect of our community that makes this so much fun.  We have the
camp that buys cheap, fixes them up, enjoys them a while and then lets them
go to another collector for more than they paid.  Then we have the camp who
stun us with their magnificent collections of already perfectly restored and
rare machines.  The fixer-upper camp invest a little money and a lot of time
to turn a decent sum of cash (after having some fun) while the high-roller
camp buy machines that continue to appreciate.  In truth, both camps seem to
be getting a return on their investments if we broaden "return" to include
different forms of enjoyment as well as cash value.

Then there's the camp who bought common machines back before eBay, back when
we were all absolutely convinced they were all pretty rare, and who
seemingly became discouraged by the light of truth we discovered through
eBay...

I belong to an entirely different camp, admittedly.  My only concern with
any phonograph is still "what does THIS one sound like??"  I appreciate the
fixers just as much as the rollers, and the collections of each equally.
For me, everything about this hobby is kid-in-a-candy-store.  But what it
boils down to, like pretty much everything else in life, is intent.

Thanks, folks of the list, for making my week with such enjoyable repartee!

Best to all,
Robert