I placed a Victrola for sale on Craigslist today, and almost immediately I was
contacted by two crooks/scammers.

Here is one of the bizarre email I received. I am assuming that a certain % of
Sellers actually fall for this lunacy, otherwise these con artists would not be
trying it.

Hello,

I'm making an immediate purchasing on behalf of my client and you will
receive check payment in excess over the item price. The check is
already signed, authorized and ready to be cashed. You are receiving
over payment because it includes shipper's fee, commission along side
due payments.

So, expect pickup because you are not expected to ship. I understand
that you will only allow the shipping company to pickup from your
location after you might have received the check.

In addition, the check will be sent as soon as you agree with me to
deduct your earnings and send the balance through western union office
or location. Kindly get back to me ASAP with your full name, address
and phone# as it will be written on the check. Kindly have the item
removed off advertisement as it is deemed sold and inform me once
done.

Regards