From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Steven Medved
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:12 PM
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Newbie Question - How To Tell an Acoustical Record

If you want to preserve a record you need to use a quality needle and change
it after each play.  The Chamberlain needles on eBay are fully polished, but
the diameter is too large and they contact the shoulders at the beginning of
each play.

You see many victrolas with records that look new, at least you used to.
When the reproducer was new with soft gaskets the reproducer was compliant
and they changed needles each time.  70 years later with hard gaskets and
the same needle the records wear.

I believe that as long as the record is shellac a steel needle is OK unless
the record is rare or an early one then you would want to use bamboo.  The
vinyl 78's and the flexible Marconi records I would not use a steel needle
with.

I suggest medium tone needles, you get less distortion.

The shellac records were made with an abrasive so they will accomodate steel
needles, I learned the hard way vinyl is badly affected by steel needles.
I do not think electrically recorded records are adversly affected by a
steel needle, I have never noted any problems.  The run in groove appeared
around 1930 to 1933 from what I have been told. I welcome comments. Steve