It does prove frustrating.

Your best bet is someone who will show up to the next phonograph show who can spell "electric motor". These things are not hard to fix actually. The most likely problem is that the field is grounded and as it is only a 2 wire device the case is also hot. It could also be the resistor has seen better days. The field coils are wrapped with linen strips and may or may not be then coated with tar. Either way when running on AC the coils flex at a 60 cycle rate and over time the wrapping fails and then the enamel on the wire wears through. This usually occurs at one or more of the 4 corners of the pole shoe.

You can verify a field ground by connecting the motor to power and then checking the frame to ground for voltage. Any reading of voltage indicates a field ground. I have attached a drawing of a universal motor, showing DC supply but the AC is identical, and you can see that at least 2 grounds are required to bypass any field windings. This is what you usually find when digging into these, multiple points of failure.