Many great comments were made while I was away this weekend.

As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words.  Your motor is a sewing
machine motor.  I had assumed that the Ferrygraph used an induction motor.  The
sewing machine motor is common and can be found on eBay with some frequency.
See eBay item #281066725702 for one similar and go to eBay to see all of the
"sewing machine motors" they have constantly on auction.  Just search under
"sewing machine motors" until you see one like yours though it may take some
time for the exact motor.  See eBay #11014372434 for an example.

Jim, et al., had the right tracks on the universal motor.  An open field coil
(1 of the usual 2) or open armature windings could cause the problem you have
but bad brushes not making contact is the overwhelming reason for universal
motor failure.  You should disassemble the motor, put the armature into a latch
chuck, and use an electric armature cleaning tool (never sandpaper) to bring
the individual contacts on the commutator back to a nice copper shine.  The
brushes should have a solid contact on the commutator for ample current to
flow.  Their condition is of prime importance.  High resistance here is
diagnosed by no torque as you describe.

The way the universal motor works in an Edison phonograph, Alva, or Edison
Business Phonograph, Ediphone, is to have the AC directly across the motor and
the induction of the iron and copper coils limits the AC current.  For DC a
series resistor, rheostat in some cases, is the current limiting component.
Come to think of it, you could buy an Edison Ediphone motor on eBay and if it
fit that would work for you.  However, all that being said, I would hope you
can get the original motor working.  Look in the yellow pages for sewing
machine repair and call around.  If all else fails, contact me to see if I have
time to look at the  original motor.

I love this list for the depth knowledge it has...
I am always learning something...
best wishes to all...

Al