From: Manuel Lemos [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 11:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] Re: Moving from MySQL to MSSQL Server 2000

Hello,

Boaz Yahav wrote:

> You realize that what they did will never work with an Ecommerce
auction
> site where everything must be in real-time...

Why do you say that? Because you think you will need to handle as much
requests as they do but always with upto date information?

AFAIK, most of e-commerce site requests are content publishing of front
store pages. Most of that can be handled with no real time database
access either with static pages or cached content. Unless you are going
to sell 30 million items like Amazon did in X-Mas, you won't need great
hardware for that.

Anyway, for busy sites is always a good idea to avoid read only database
accesses or else your site will not scale. Besides content caching, it
is always important to avoid database accesses for simple but repetitive
things like session authentication.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos