From: Frank Flynn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 7:51 PM
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Re: Moving from MySQL to MSSQL Server 2000

There are few things you should consider; perhaps you already have.  You
not be replacing the OS of your Web server but you will be adding a new
for the database since MS SQL only runs on Windows.  So now your site
have a Solaris / Apache piece and Windows cluster running MS SQL.

I have run configurations like this and they do work however if your
fundamental goal is better reliability I suggest to be careful about MS
My experience (not wanting to start any flame wars here) has been that
SQL is not as reliable as some of the bigger names such as Informix /
and Oracle.  All of those also run on Solaris which  means you could
only have one OS.  That may or may not be an advantage to you.

The other issue to be very careful about regarding MS SQL is it is not
supported on Solaris.  So if you have an issue where the database
appears to
be functioning normally yet your Apache Web server cannot retrieve data
the DB Microsoft will have nothing to do with helping you fix this.  It
an unsupported configuration; the connectivity products you will use,
whatever they are, will not come from Microsoft nor will any help.

But to answer your specific questions:
ODBC, JDBC are not the only ways to move data from the database to
but they are the most popular ways because they're easy to use and they
work very well.
Also check out freeTDS (tabular data stream) and a product called
there are others try Web search from your favorite search engine.

A few months ago we did a benchmark and we found JDBC to be faster than
Microsoft client or ODBC.   In our case we believe this was because of
way that JDBC returned results in larger chunks which matched our needs
that App.  Your mileage may vary; these things depend on your
and a particular versions of the software and combinations of the
using.  Nothing beats having the time to try a couple different
and see which works best for your situation.

I don't think there any particularly special points you need to consider
because you're using MS SQL but as I've said each application can be
different and have its own unique needs.

Good Luck,