Jeff,

Is there something about the evaluation of \n in different types of
strings, eg single quotes/double quotes? (I don't know the answer)...
FWIW I don't like (perhaps, I don't trust) the \r\n type of short-cuts.

Herewith some sample code:
   $LinkText        = "Requested data can be found at: $source" . CRLF .
CRLF .
                    "Run date: $DocDate" . CRLF;

The constants are defined in an Include/Require file:
define( 'LF',  chr(  10 ) );
define( 'CR',  chr(  13 ) );
define( 'CRLF',       CR.LF );

It works for me!