HI,

 I use SuSE.6.4 with Ora.8.1.6/PHP.4.0.6.
 For a while, it used to be PHP/4.1.2, but I reverted to PHP/4.0.6
because of other non-Ora related problems.
 /etc/rc.d/apache startup script extract below

<extract>
#
# set values for Oracle (need to recompile mod_php with Oracle support)
#
export ORACLE_SID=ORCL
export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6
export ORA_NLS33=/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/ocommon/nls/admin/data
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libpthread.so
export NLS_LANG=american_greece.el8iso8859p7
#export ORACLE_HOME=$ORA_HOME
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib

#
# export variables for database drivers in PHP
#
export DBROOT ORACLE_HOME LD_LIBRARY_PATH
</extract>

Never had any problem with Ora chars with _this_ setup.
Are you 100% certain you have installed everything alright?
All necessary re-compilations have been done?

-Stathis.

Miguel Carvalho wrote:

> > The speed decrease is dependant on your setup. How fast your machines
> > are and how good your network is. I ran a few quick tests on our
> > servers and there seemed to be little effect on performance. The loss
> > of
> > performance was unmeasurable.
> >

> I see that it's a minor issue.
>
> > I'm not sure on the character set setting. You can see your current NLS
> > settings for your session, instance and database by querying
> > NLS_SESSION_PARAMETERS, NLS_INSTANCE_PARAMETERS and
> > NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS. Maybe that well help you.
>
> I have done a select from those table/view...and all are as i need.
>
> A have tried changing the session parameters with alter session, but the
> result is the same.
>
> Isn't this an issue related to OCI8 or PHP.
> As i said at some days ago, this only appens on my Linux( suse 7.x) machine
> that is using PHP. On the windows machines, all is fine.
>
> Does any can send me an exemple of the definition of NLS_LANG environment
> variable?
>

> Thank's for the repply
>
> Regards
> Miguel Carvalho