SquirrelMail is used by a lot people and comes with a lot of systems (i.e. Apple Servers, Linux). It's not tied to any particular email server, it's open source and PHP based, so you can customize it to your needs. The email address has to do with the email server, not the web front end. Postfix is a pretty popular email server that supports many configurations and is a heck of a lot easier to learn and setup than sendmail. dbMail is another interesting one that can use a database (mysql, postgres) as a back, which helps with searching large mail boxes or tying into a whole system.