2006/5/12, JupiterHost.Net <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Dwight Altman wrote:

> " Right after rebuilding php and apache and breaking PHP funtionality
for
> everyone, just so you can send a semi complex MIME message? That is the
> epitome of PHP's lameness and why I can't sit quietly by and not
> recommend an easy to install and use and maintain solution."
>
> This command breaks Apache?
> require("class.phpmailer.php");
> " And besides its in a non strutcutered way to maek it even more
> impossible to maintain."
>
> Classes and Object Oriented Programming?

Thanks Dwight, good info.

I'm speaking in generalitites of working with PHP not specifics
components of the technology.

As an example of this general clutter/bloat/mess that PHPs basic
paradigm is see:

http://tnx.nl/php

Disclaimer: Note that that url is a comparison of Perl to PHP, which is
not what I'm saying in all this mess. Just look at each point of PHP and
if you don't see whay iots so bad look at how Perl does it and hopefully
it will make more clear where I'm coming from for at least part of my
argument (the deve part) that PHP has many negatives things about it
that are either not an issue in other langauges or are not nearly as
pronounced or common to run up against.

I'm very sorry if this makes some uncomfortable but note that I'm
pointing out downfalls of PHP, a "thing", I am not getting personal and
would appreciate the same courtesy. (which Dwight and Edward have done,
thanks ;p)

It's a fact that I can't deny any of the bad points you have exposed about
PHP. I even agree with you that most of this problems are really awful and
it's pointless to hide them. But the fact that PHP is by preference the
language for developing small and middle web solutions aimed to be economic
and rapidly developed is also undeniable. All languages have their pros and
cons, and trying to compare them outside of the context of the target market
is pointless. It just happens that PHP pros fit better the desires of the
web solutions market, and they also don't care much about current PHP cons.

Anyway, this market is evolving and its needs are changing, so it's normal
for developers to try and anticipate future development needs and try to
make PHP fit into other philosophies, methodologies or technologies it was
not designed to work with, and everyone who has tried this (including me)
have started to hate PHP in a certain way. But that's all there is to it, I
hate not having a proper application framework, I hate not having
namespaces, I hate the overhead of working with OOP, I hate magic quotes,
but I still use PHP because it is still the most appropiate development
enviroment for a small or middle sized web solution.

I'm guessing this part, but I think you think alike and that's the reason
you're still on this list and trying to make a point out of your bad
experiences with PHP. We can still hope that this problems will be solved
without harming the spirit of PHP in future versions or future enhacements,
and that our needs will be somehow be heard. If not, well they will realize
soon that current trends are leading to a different kind of solutions (not
that utopic Web2.0 but a more realistic Web1.5).

Thanks for sharing your opinion and concerns, I really appreciate them.