I've been able to make PHP work with libedit from NetBSD. It requires some
patching (not much of that) and some features might be missing, but
generally it works. Now the questions are:

1. Do we want non-GPL readline implementation?
2. Can we just rip the code out the NetBSD CVS (like I did) and insert it
into PHP? License seems to allow this, provided all the thing with
advertising clauses, but there might be things more complicated than I
thought of.
3. If 1+2 is yes, do we want to still retain the GNU readline
compatibility, or we want full replacement (with probably some
functionality loss).

Waiting for comments on this,
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/ +972-3-6139665 ext.115