ID: 12064
Updated by: wez
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Summary: Truetype functions can't locate fonts
Bug Type: GD related
Operating System: Windows 2000 SP1
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

Are you sure that GD understands d:/path/to/font.ttf as a path?
Should it be d:\\path\\to\\font.ttf ?

--Wez.

please use filemon (www.sysinternals.com) to find out where php/gd is searching for
the fonts, and report back.

thanks.

Rasmus:

  I did some reading through the GD docs; it seems that GD uses an environment
variable called GDFONTPATH to locate its fonts when no path is specified (this seems
to imply that the proper extension would also be appended). However, setting this
properly did not work. The documentation also says that a full path will be accepted
(with .ttf ending) if specified as a parameter.

  Seems like a problem with the way PHP is passing the string, perhaps. I would play
with the source, but I don't have a compiler for this environment right now; it seems
that people are not having this problem on Unices, so I won't bother looking there.

Any clue?

Thanks,
Ben

No idea about the Windows version, but on UNIX the new GD2 library is hardcoded to
look for TTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype.  Also, it automatically adds the .ttf
extension itself so in your code you should not put the .ttf extension on your font.

The GD TrueType functions can't find fonts; relative paths and absolute paths both do
not work.

Example (font is in the local directory, and . is part of my php.ini include_path)
<?
$image = ImageCreateTrueColor(200,200);
ImageTTFText($image, 20, 0, 2, 15, $red, "d:/path/to/font.ttf", "Some text.");
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");
// alternatively, ImageTTFText($image, 20, 0, 2, 15, $red, "font.ttf", "Some text.");
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");
ImageJPEG($image, '', 100);
ImageDestroy($image);
?>
(written off the top of my head, it's in a larger script, but test scripts I wrote and
unfortunately deleted don't work either)

PHP reports: Warning: Could not find/open font in d:\path\to\fonttest.php on line 3

This is from the binary Win32 distribution of PHP 4.0.6 on php.net.