At 23:37 22-08-01, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've got an experimental beginning of the new rand functions ready. I think
>it's good if others can comment on it before it is finished, because the
>course can be changed now quite easily, but when it's all done, I don't feel
>much about doing that...

Do you need the branch the whole directory?

We usually (read: always) don't use branches for development, i.e., we
don't use branches that are planned to eventually merge in.  That's because
CVS's branch handling leaves a lot to be desired...  It may be ok in this
case, where the chances of somebody else committing something that would
clash with your changes are very slim, but I think you're better off
branching just the file or couple of files which you're modifying.

>So, should I branch ext/standard under the name 'EXPERIMENTAL', or
>'RAND_CHANGE', or something else?

EXPERIMENTAL is way too general to be good for such a purpose...  I'd try
and use a fairly descriptive name, which is unlikely to be used again in
the future.

Zeev