From: Rasmus Resen Amossen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 11:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Optional source scrambeling

> Why would you want to scramble your source from other people. Unless
> you have a company behind you making you scramble it then i just think

> of it as selfish.

That is NOT the issue! It should be an option. And then don't use it if
you don't want to.

> where do you think php/zend would be if they only distributed binarys
> (OpenSource baby!).

Is that rellevant? Where do you think Mazda would be if they did not
earn money from selling their cars? Let's all work for free, full time,
and then quit our normal job. Not.

It's a great thing with open source and all should participate if they
have time and money to it. I suggested to implement the enscrambler my
self, for examble. But to be able to quit my normal job and only earn
money on my own projects I have to make sure, that these are not copied
uncontrolled.

To keep the linux-world 100% open source is naive. Face it. 99% is more
realistic. If we want more large applications (some maybe commercial)
made in php we NEED a scramble feature to ensure lager companies that
their products will not be copied.

My point: It is great that you, with open source, can add features and
so on, as much as you want. But that should in the other way NOT imply
that it would be impossible to earn money.

But that was not the discussion. The discussion was HOW I could
implement it...

--
Rasmus Resen Amossen | stud.mat.dat at the University of Copenhagen
Jagtvej 120, -244    | http://www.math.ku.dk/muh