Jerrett Taylor wrote:

>I agree.. Also if you have a way of distributing binarys, you can
>release the source with it.. Much like a lot of people do already with
>binaries for *nix ..
>
>That way you have a binary, that people can use/run without hacking it
>apart, and coming back to you with "I broke it, fix it for me!" , and
>they can look at the source (if you want) to see how its done
>

>.. Best of both worlds!

modfying the file io layer to deal with encoded (dump of the parsed data
structs) files, is realitivly simple in theory, so if you have the
time..... :)

what I posted a while back was a method of merging php code into an
extension. - It was theoretically postible to do that as well.., however
it was not wonderfully effecient in terms of design. - you basically had
to recompile the whole php binary just to use the code... - the nicer
option would be what the old phpcompiler did - just add the code to the
end of the php binary??? and do some other changes to make it execute
the binary using the attached data. - If somebody could send me a copy
:) - I'd love to see how that was done.. - searching google for 'merging
data into exectutable binaries' doesnt get anywhere... :)
eg.
1. how does the php binary know where it's theoretical end point is, and
the other data starts.. (guess work and looking for a data sequence?)
2. how does it read data from it's own internal memory, relative to the
programs loaded memory space! - that one really threw me - otherwise it
would have to load the file into memory, the re-read the data from it's
own binary off the disk - sounds as bad as Plan A :)...
3. how can you make it cross platform!

from my aspect - looking at phpgtk apps, the compiled/protected bit is
not important - its the distribution of a single exe + a few dll's
rather than getting individual windows users to have a whole load of
text files lying around.. - as everyone here knows there not much
difference between the two - but try explaining that to the average
windows IT manager =  saftey in familarity :)

regards
alan