On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:20:26PM +0800, Alan Knowles wrote:
> I know this is going nowhere :) but anyway - its late here and I've got
> a few secs to kill....
>
> Ask your boss, how often has he done a project using microsoft tools,
> and its been seriously delayed because they found a serious bug in the
> microsoft tools, that had to be worked around.- if he answers never i
> would be amazed !
I nevery experienced any bugs related to ASP. Most bugs are related to security issues.

> Delayed = late delivery = unsatified customer = bad reputation = no more
> contracts!
We (ISM) are running the one of the most visited webshops in the world
(shop.kazaa.com, a third party shop of the Free Record Shop company).
It's running on 3 webservers and 1 database server. And it's all programmed on the
standard ASP package.

And the CMS system we now have is eating my PHP ground away.. As you might know,
soccer is very big in Europe. We're also running with the same ASP-code the
'voetbal.nl' site.

And to be fair, most big sites are running asp these days.

> The difference with PHP (and perl,pike,python, ruby......etc), is that
> when there is a problem, your project is not delayed, you have full
> access to the source, you can find the problem, fix it and carry on with
> minimal delays.. - no workaround. - no code thats going to break on the
> next MS update!
And you think fixing the PHP don't take time.. I don't have the time to fix the
problem. So even than i have to wait till it's fixed.

> This is the core to the reason behind why all of these languages are
> better than c#/java - you are empowered to solve your own problems,
> rather than relying on 3 levels of technical support and promises that
> it will be fixed and wont break your code.....
And that's also the weakness behind those tools. A PHP (scripting) developer mostly
can't fix the C code of PHP.
So he's also depended on other people.

And these days microsoft is taking bugs very seriously. Ok, Microsoft is now creating
a lot of patches. And they do it fast.
When i bug is reported and they can reproduce them it mostly is fixed within a month.

> the logic is in the philosophy not the marketing = no seminar is ever
> going to solve this problem :)
I'm only trying to say (here we go again..) that it's hard to defend PHP in a
microsoft company.

But it's not impossible. The fact that i can commit to PEAR says enough.
I hardly program in my free time. That time i'm usinf for my social life.

And here it's almost 18:00 (CEST) so i'm going to play some soccer.

Happy programming!!
Dave Mertens