I liked Java (the api not the language) for big projects as well. But only when there
is need for many web servers behind a Loadbalancer/Firewall. For smaller projects
Java depends on to much memory/cpu resources.

And who wants to use MS in critical environments or with critical Data? Remember
MS fail to secure their own DNS servers or who knows what MS is capable to view
on your server? Before XP they did not implement a full tcp/ip stack and noone knows
what they are doing on the net (besides themselfs - i hope). And what about the
resources of Windows - you must have lots of money to be fast with MS Systems.

As said before by Kristian Koehntopp there is a large amount of LAMP installations.
Because many people do not use XML/SOAP why should they? Not everyone has
to sell something on his site....(AND some XML parts are in development even tody).

So we have big/expensives systems using either Sun/*nix or MS/MS on the one hand
and LAMP for smaller systems on the other hand. Cheap but only for smaller systems.

When time comes and thinks like SRM become public maybe PHP gets the capabilities
to run a web-application on multiple machines - then we will have the need for full SOAP
integration. Before that time we would only provide MS/Java folks with rapid prototyping
utilities...

marcus