Did php-dev get a collective male version of PMS all of a sudden? :-)

For the record, I agree that PEAR DB is a bit on the heavy side today.
A "lean and mean" redesign is planned for when aggregation and
overloading stabilizes.  And maybe even rewriting some parts in C.
Ideally using PEAR DB should not be significantly slower than using
native functions.  Or at least that's my long-term goal.

 - Stig