On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 02:38:50PM +0800, John Lim wrote:
> Let me explain. I'm developing extranets with PHP and occasionally I get a
> checklist of required features from a customer. Features such as:
>
>  - clustering,
>  - management of server farms,
>  - transparent fail-over,
>  - load balancing
>  - application deployment without restarting server
>  - advanced queueing
>  - database connection pooling
>
> I believe that many of these features should probably not be part of the
> language,

Most of these are features of the deployment model, not the
language. That's part of the problem: Since PHP 3, development
has (publicly) concentrated on the language and language
features. The deployment model has changed slightly, adding a
lot of SAPIs, but not fundamentally - SAPIs manage variables and
state like they always did. Also, Zend added some very important
things with their Cache, which has been duplicated partially
outside Zend.

I believe the things that you list above are very important, as
important or even more important that the language level changed
for PHP 5/ZE2. The issue is, little is being done into this
direction at the moment, with SRM being the only project
focussing on that. Someone has asked for a vision for PHP, and
it might me that...

> Does this mean that when i become more successful and get
> larger clients with Enterprise requirements I have to abandon
> PHP and switch to Java or MS.NET? I hope not.

Unless "PHP" adresses this issue explicitly and publicly: Yes,
you will have to switch. Sad.

Kristian

--
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE AG, Dr.-Hell-Straße, D-24107 Kiel
Tel: +49 431 386 435 00, Fax: +49 431 386 435 99