Hi Rob,

At 13:22 8-6-2002, Rob Richards shared with all of us:

>right now I am using the following to test for a remote path:
>     if (!strncasecmp(file,"http://";, 7) || !strncasecmp(file,"ftp://";, 6)) {
>which could be expanded upon if additional protocols are added to libxml.

 From a user's point of view:
Sablotron uses scheme handlers, which can be registered for a certain
protocol. This allows custom protocols to be added in php.

Would love to see the same thing apply to domxml and if eventually
resources between the different extensions could be passed arround, this
would certainly help.

One could do it like this for instance:
<!ENTITY % dynamic SYSTEM
"domxml://resourcename/rootnode/entityblock/entityname">
%dynamic;
and vice-versa for xml-stylesheet PI's.

The remote check would be static:
if(!strncasecmp(file, "file://", 7)) || !strncasecmp(file, "sablot://", 9)) {

Then through a case statement of 'known' schemes and any that require
safe_mode could go
through the streams.
Any custom schemas that are registered in php, would have to call
fopen/sockets/whatever and are handled by streams/safe_mode automatically.

2c.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

IDG.nl
Melvyn Sopacua
Webmaster