At 11:00 10/12/2002, Edin Kadribasic wrote:
The CGI sapi was first renamed to php-cgi on Feb 28, and the change was
temporarily reverted for the 4.2.x release because CLI sapi was
considered experimental.
That maybe the way you see this. A handful of php-dev programmers may see it in the same way, but then, even not all php-dev programmers see it that way (me, for instance). As for the hundreds of thousands of users out there, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of them don't see it that way at all, and frankly, that's what matters.

The reason for the name change was discussed on php-dev back then and it
had to do with the fact that most people felt that "make install" should
install CLI in ${PREFIX}/bin/php.
[snip]

Look, IMHO, it all boils down to the same simple points:
- No drawbacks to naming the PHP CLI as something different than PHP (well, unless you count the gut feeling of people who 'feel make install should install CLI in ${PREFIX}/bin/php', without really being able to say why).
- Considerable drawbacks to changing the PHP CGI name. You may argue that the confusion this would cause is not as bad as I may think, but you cannot argue that it won't cause confusion. I'm a fairly competent user, and it still took me a few minutes to understand what was going on and why. Suffice to say I came across less competent users.

P.S. I wish people were following this list more closely so that we don't
have to discuss same issues over and over again.
Unfortunately this is not an option for all of us at any given time.
I, for one, do wish that the developers here employed a more user-oriented approach and less 'this should be changed cause it'll be cool/neat/Right' approach. This would do a lot of good for PHP.

Zeev