XML is a way to store data in a structure format that is correct and is
platform independent; meaning u can share data with anything that
understands xml format.

For web applications xml allows you to send data to the client and have
the browser do the parsing for you. (I would suggest ie5.5 and ns6.0
browsers if you are doing client-side parsing).  If you are doing
server-side php parsing then i would suggest using domxml+domxslt or
using xslt (sablotron).  Then you can parse the xml doc, get xhtml(html)
and send that to the user.

The benefits are seperation of logic and presentation in your php. All
presentation code should be in your xslt style sheets and all logic
should create a data document (xml).  This allow you to change the
presentation with out changing logic.

--
BigDog