Ray Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 1. How efficient is to use XML+XSLT solution? Does it
> > add processing overhead to the system?
>
> The efficientcy is relative to many factors, however I can stress this.
> The style sheets can be cached client side and then only xml data can be
> sent to the user. This reduces bandwidth and allows the transformation
> to be done on the client side instead of server side. Also not that xml
> + xslt transformations can be done server side. I usually do browser
> checks to determine if the browser is capable of handling xml+xslt
> transformations: if so then i send the files. Now if the browser is old
> or has issues (i.e. Internet explorer 5.5) then i can do the
> transformation server side and send html.  Also note that you can set up
> a caching system at this point.

I opened the page with Opera I was doing in XML+XSLT and my page
disappeard :(  Back to browscap days... i thought we were done with
that.

> If the transformation is done server side then yes you have that over
> head. However, if you are only serving up xml files and xslt files (part
> of the time on xslt) then u are reducing server load.

What I'm afraid of is that xslt will have the same problem that html had
with the browser wars. excpecially since all layout and rendering is
done based on what the client's software thinks.

Curt