Colin Viebrock wrote:

> There is also the license issue (which I know has been discussed before).
> But the first thing I read on the Midguard website is:
>
>     Midgard will always implement an OS development to publishing
>     solution, future releases will include APIs for implementing
>     commercial applications.

All of Midgard that could affect PHP is LGPL. There are applications
written using Midgard, which do not affect PHP in any way, which
are under the X license. Glibc, expat, mysqlclient, etc, all
"include APIs for implementing commercial applications". And
note that commercial != closed source in the first place.

> [There is also the fact that Midguard accepts donations and collects
> membership fees ... how is that going to change if Midguard is part of the
> main PHP distribution?]

MySQL access functions were in PHP long before it went open source. I'm
not saying that Midgard is on the same level of general usefullness
but just that the fact that there's an organization behind it
doesn't change it's licensing.

> But, to me at least, Midguard seems to be code that is a "layer above" what
> I would feel belongs in the main PHP distribution.  In the same way the DB
> abstraction class is (even the C version of it) ... and that they both
> belong in PEAR.

This is a discussion that I'm fully open to.

Emile