At 00:30 20/3/2001, Emiliano wrote:
>Colin Viebrock wrote:
>
> > There is also the license issue (which I know has been discussed before).
> > But the first thing I read on the Midguard website is:
> >
> >     Midgard will always implement an OS development to publishing
> >     solution, future releases will include APIs for implementing
> >     commercial applications.
>
>All of Midgard that could affect PHP is LGPL. There are applications
>written using Midgard, which do not affect PHP in any way, which
>are under the X license. Glibc, expat, mysqlclient, etc, all
>"include APIs for implementing commercial applications". And
>note that commercial != closed source in the first place.
>
> > [There is also the fact that Midguard accepts donations and collects
> > membership fees ... how is that going to change if Midguard is part of the
> > main PHP distribution?]
>
>MySQL access functions were in PHP long before it went open source. I'm
>not saying that Midgard is on the same level of general usefullness
>but just that the fact that there's an organization behind it
>doesn't change it's licensing.

MySQL was always opensource.  It was perhaps not opensource(tm), but it was
opensource, before people came along and put rules on what opensource means.

> > But, to me at least, Midguard seems to be code that is a "layer above" what
> > I would feel belongs in the main PHP distribution.  In the same way the DB
> > abstraction class is (even the C version of it) ... and that they both
> > belong in PEAR.
>
>This is a discussion that I'm fully open to.

I tend to agree to Colin's statement.  I don't see the big added value (to
everyone involved) in distributing midgard alongside PHP, and one of the
reasons PEAR was born was for such extensions exactly.

Zeev

--
Zeev Suraski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CTO &  co-founder, Zend Technologies Ltd. http://www.zend.com/