Enrico Weigelt said:
> I really don't like smarty. The idea is simply not right.

It's a good idea; in fact, PHP was originally supposed to be a templating
engine.  You can easily separate business and presentation logic in either
PHP or Smarty.

> + does not separate (imperative) code from layout. it still models
>   process logic

To a limited extent.

> + such non-trivial imperative code is not suited for non-programmer's
>   (perhaps graphical) editing tools.

My goal is to allow my Front Page (yuck, don't have a choice) developer to
mock up an entire site and then I'll plug in PHP or Smarty template code.
Works well.  Or I can supply an extremely sparse HTML file with PHP/Smarty
template code in it and she can mock it up.

> + the layouter has still so learn (a subset of) php and so also has
>   to be a programmer

See above...

> + offers no clear borderline between layout definitions and application
> code.
>   you simply can't give a customer of your application service access to
>   without imposing really serious security problems.

A valid concern.

> + bound to the php-interpreter and cannot be used w/ other languages.
> + content rendering process cannot be separated from the application
> server.

Another valid concern.

Hey PHP/Smarty templates aren't for everyone.  No one said they were.  But
for my next project I believe I'll be using native PHP as a template
engine.

/dev/idal