--- Larry Garfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For your rudimentary example of object-relational mapping below, yes,
> performance is going to be atrocious.  That's because you're not taking any
> advantage of the features that using OOP gives you.

Well, I /thought/ I was taking advantage of black box-style hiding (not sure
what it's called),
that is, making sure the only place I type (and modify) my SQL query is hidden
inside the private
method of a class.

> Again, pull extra data if you can.  A somewhat larger result set is (usually)
> better than multiple queries.  How much you want to front-load in your object
> and how much you want to defer to later depends on your specific problem and
> how frequently the data will be used.

OK that somewhat answers the question.

> 5) If you need to grab 100 objects at once, but just need basic data out of
> them, use a factory.  Vis,

(code snipped)

I /think/ I understand the code.  But I'd need more than just basic data, so I
probably will just
write a query.

> 6) If you need to do a complex query with a couple of joins and such, then
> don't waste your time or the computer's trying to shoe-horn it into SQL.  SQL
> is not inherently OO to start with!  Just write your query and loop it and be
> happy.  OOP is not the answer to all problems.  Sometimes it does just make
> matters worse, no matter what Sun tries to tell you. :-)

LOL

Yeah, I was thinking of shoe-horning things into SQL for speed.

> >  I want my data to _only_ be accessed from the black box called an OOP
> >  class.
>
> That will work and is achievable in about 30% of all situations.  For the
> other 70%, you will have to just hunker down and *gasp* write SQL specific to
> the task at hand at least some of the time.  How much of the time once again
> depends on your situation and the problem you're trying to solve.

*gasp*

:-)

>From what it seems like people are telling me, it's a good idea to boot OOP
>for large numbers of
objects where I need more than just a little information and just use an SQL
query, as I
suspected.  At least, for PHP; I wonder what Java people do in this situation.

CD

Think you&#39;re a good person?  Yeah, right!  ;-)
Prove it and get ten thousand dollars:
TenThousandDollarOffer.com