Jay Blanchard wrote:
> First of all LDAP is not a database, it is a connection protocol that
> can connect to many things, most notably Active Directory seems to be
> the most popular usage.

Well I don't disagree with you - LDAP = Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol.

> Therefore you cannot compare it to MySQL,

Well, you kinda can. If you have an LDAP server it will internally use a
database of sorts to store your data and will then expost that to you
via a Structured Query Language of sorts.... (see what I did there? I
made comparison of LDAP to SQL - not to MySQL, SQL the language).

> because MySQL is a database product. Are you talking about Active
> Directory being the database?

Erm, have you heard of OpenLDAP? It's probably the widest used one.
AFAIK it's on all OSX machines (used interanlly from what I can gather)
and is very widely used on Linux.

As for the OP, I'd defo go for LDAP if it's in your office. You can find
plenty methods to access you address book if it's in LDAP: via the web
(PHP) in Horde or Roundcubemail, directly in your mail application
(Thunderbird, Apple Mail, even outlook (tho' it's rubbish)), or through
specific applications - e.g. KAddressBook in KDE on linux etc. etc.

Trouble is there are a lot of schemas for representing Contacts in LDAP
as no-one seems to agree on a universal scheme. What works perfectly in
Apple's address book will not be flawlessly available in Thunderbird for
example.

YMMV but I'm very happy with LDAP.

Col