ob_start() at the beginning and ob_end_flush() at the end of the PHP section seems to do the trick albeit I've still problems to understand why. The description in the manual is rather sparse unfortunately. Is there any more information about what's going on?

O. Wyss

Wouter van Vliet / Interpotential wrote:
You best option would be to go through all of your include'd or require'd
files and make sure there is no whitespace before and after you open your
php tags. Those are often the cause for such problems. The easy way would
indeed be to use output buffering. In that case, put the call to ob_start();
on the first line of the file you're calling. You will still have to make
sure to not have any whitespace before your <?php opening.

To even bypass that, the output_buffering ini setting might be useful. Alter
it in your php.ini if you can, otherwise try your apache vhost configuration
or .htaccess. The syntax there is:

     php_flag output_buffering On

Good luck!