I wouldn't. First, I don't know of any standard fonts for linux, though there
might be (As you have Arial or Times New Roman for windows). Second, It might
be a safe_mode / open_base_dir issue, or a problem in GD or the freetype
libraries if the path is right and the font exist.
I would try something like dirname(__FILE__).'/fonts/Arial.ttf'... of course
that would mean you need to create a "fonts" directory and copy Arial.ttf from
your system to that location (violating the copywrite? ;) )... anyway, you can
check that with any other font.

> >> 2. I need the scripts I'm writing to be portable, so can I be sure
> of
> >> what fonts will be available, and will I be able to locate them?

Deploy the fonts along with your scripts... that's the only way I know.

> >> 3. I'm not really concerned about what font it is, just that it's
> large
> >> and readable. If there are other options than what I've explored
> here,
> >> then I would be open to those too.

You can get some free fonts, and deploy them along with every project. I do so
for a custom CAPTCHA script I've made.

> Thank you for any advice.
>
> --
> Dave M G

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 |
TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | MSN Chat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
Web: http://www.bestplace.biz | Web: http://www.seo-diy.com