Hi Dave,

Take a look
http://www.bestplace.biz/unittest/ttf/PrintImage.php

... and replace PrintImage.php with info.php in the URL to get the phpinfo.
See the CONFIGURE COMMAND line for the phpinfo (at the very beginning):
'--with-gd'
'--enable-gd-native-ttf'
'--with-ttf'
'--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib'
'--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib'
'--with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib'

You might need to change /usr/local/lib according to your system configuration
(this is a CentOS 4 box with DirectAdmin as the hosting control panel) and
recompile PHP. However, before you run into an unnecessary mess...

1 - Add this line to the very beginning of the script and remove the code that
outputs the image (all the "header" stuff and the "imagepng($im)" sentence):

        error_reporting(E_ALL);

I guess you have already don that but just in case... If there's an error you
should see it with E_ALL

2 - If you find out that the problem is definitely PHP, you'd better off using
the provided upgrade methods of your hosting control panel, or a standard or
custom script provided at the hosting control panel's website. That will make
your life easier (For DirectAdmin, there's custombuild, for others... I don't
know)... otherwise, you'll have to edit the configure script, and run
./configure, make and make install as usual (and troubleshoot as usual).

Hope you get it working, :)

Rob