On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 21:25 +0800, paragasu wrote:
> > If you don't use a framework then obviously you are writing nothing but
> > mickey mouse programs, and wouldn't stand a chance when it comes to
> > writing
> > a proper application. For example, I have just completed an ERP
> > application
> > which contains 130 database tables, 230 relationships and 1000
> > transactions.
> > Because I used a proper framework I managed to complete all of this in
> > just
> > 6 months. The framework allowed me to generate initial working components
> > without having to write any code whatsoever - no PHP, no HTML and no SQL -
> > so that I could spend the bulk of my time on the really important stuff,
> > which is implementing the business rules. That is the benefit of a proper
> > framework - it takes care of the boring repetitive stuff and leaves you
> > more
> > time to deal with the tricky stuff. If you think you can achieve the same
> > level of productivity WITHOUT a framework then you are living in cloud
> > cuckoo land.
> >
> > --
> > Tony Marston
> > <http://www.tonymarston.net>
>

> wow! that is quite a big program u wrote. can you tell me what framework you
> use
> for the project. well, you have the point. but i know many open source php
> out there
> do not use specific framework.
> not doing framework doesn't mean it is going to be a mickey mouse program.
> at some
> points, the code will built into a small library which someone might call it
> framework anyway.
> a good example is os-commerce and phpBB.

I'm guessing, since you quoted os-commerce and phpBB, you don't know
shit code when you see it. Just because it's popular doesn't mean the
code is good. Have you ever tried to modify either of these? What a
mess.

> I don't see any framework being use
> there
> except for specific coding guide lines. but the project still grow to be a
> big program and
> i bet the code can be over 10, 000 lines (i just guess, might not true) .
> you may call the code mickey mouse but the thing is it still working fine.

10k lines of code built over a framework is not the same as 10k lines
that essentially required you to build your own framework.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com