On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Dan Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I personally never agreed with anyone until the last couple years that there
> should be mandatory military service after high school.  The reason being:
> What if I had something planned for my life, why would fighting a war help
> me accomplish this?
>
> I guess the main problem is people don't realize that there are a LOT of
> things you can do in the military other than just taking a gun out into the
> field and firing at the enemy.  If you want people to believe that mandatory
> service is a good thing, they have to do more to get that message out.
> Especially in this day and age where most people think enlisting is just
> volunteering to go to Iraq.

    Exactly.  And not just a single branch, either - feel free to join
any branch of the Armed Forces.  For mandatory service, it should be
on a one or two year term, as opposed to volunteer options of 3, 4, or
6 years.  And when in there, keep in mind that you're not just going
to be some tank crunchy in the middle of the desert; you can be
anything at all, including a police officer, a cook, a priest, a
paramedic, a mechanic, a programmer, a truck driver, or nearly
anything else at all.

    With the exception of elected officials, artists, and
entertainers, virtually all paid civilian jobs have a paid military
counterpart.  Of course, not all military jobs have a civilian
counterpart, but chances are that - if you enjoy your
non-civilian-available position - you're going to make a career out of
the service.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Dedicated Servers - Intel 2.4GHz w/2TB bandwidth/mo. starting at just