On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Jay Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [snip]
>     I don't want to start any arguments or flame wars, but it's been
> my opinion for years that the US should require at least one year in
> the armed services as well.  If you want freedom and privileges, you
> should earn them, not feel automatically entitled to them by birth.
> [/snip]
>
> I do not want to start any arguments of flame wars either, but I am in
> total agreement. A one or two year service (those medically unable can
> serve similar community service) would be very valuable not only to the
> country but to the person.
>
> In a similar vein I believe that folks wishing to immigrate to this
> country should serve similarly.

I didn't personally serve, but have others in my family join the Air Force
and Navy.  Most people STRONGLY oppose mandatory service.

I personally never agreed with anyone until the last couple years that there
should be mandatory military service after high school.  The reason being:
What if I had something planned for my life, why would fighting a war help
me accomplish this?

I guess the main problem is people don't realize that there are a LOT of
things you can do in the military other than just taking a gun out into the
field and firing at the enemy.  If you want people to believe that mandatory
service is a good thing, they have to do more to get that message out.
Especially in this day and age where most people think enlisting is just
volunteering to go to Iraq.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Plans start @ $1.99/month.

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."