On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 14:53 +0200, Aschwin Wesselius wrote:
> Richard Heyes wrote:
> >
> >> I'm going to have a look at my browser cache. Maybe I find something.
> >>

> > Thanks.
> I'm sorry Richard, seems that my browser doesn't hold the history long
> enough.
>
> Forgive me to ask, but how come that you don't have much copies of your
> work? Do you work straight on your server?
>
> I've got my editor (UltraEdit Studio) setup, that it makes a backup of
> the file I'm editing every 5 minutes with a timestamp and the full path.
> Besides that, we use SVN (wich is not that difficult to setup and manage).
>
> So, if your server is your food (so to speak), you'd better take a look
> at the simple things that might rescue you some day. Nowadays there are
> little NAS devices with RAID-0 support (like My Books from Western
> Digital), that gives a good backup solution for a quick buck. Off
> course, you can always step up to better solutions and methods.....
>
> Doesn't your hosting provider has a backup facility? Maybe rent another
> webserver (could be virtual) and mirror it with rsync? I don't know.....
> there must be something that suits your needs.....
>
> I wouldn't like to loose my stuff, but I can't afford much for the best
> solutions either. It's not that my job depends on it, but personal data
> is a big loss too.

Regardless of any backup solution... my stuff is usually in 3 different
places:

    - my locale dev machine
    - CVS repository on my other machine
    - live deployment

Now the database is a different matter. But Richard has mentioned he's
missing CSS files. Even without a distinct CVS machine, his stuff could
have been in 2 different places.

Cheers,
Rob.
--