-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:34 AM
To: Ross McKay
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] Re: An appeal to your better nature

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Ross McKay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Problems I see with the above:
>
> * good IT professionals use version control AND take backups
> * good IT professionals work on dev servers and migrate to test, prod
> * good IT professionals don't tend to claim "guru" status themselves :)

    Addendum:

    * Good IT professionals don't usually criticize one another in a
public forum in the above manner, if nothing else than out of
professional courtesy.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Better prices on dedicated servers:

ROFL

I never thought someone seriously would go the whole way from dev, test and
prod servers AND use all the version control stuff.

Honestly: I use dev servers and two backup servers for our company website,
but having  a version control system and everything would, in my opinion,
really make this whole being a developer some kind of ... ugh. Might be good
to do, I don't know. Never tried, and probably never will. And being a "good
IT professional" to me means: know what you're doing, and take the hits you
get. Lost your data? Well, there is a hit to take. But pointing fingers has
never helped anybody.

2 Cents from germany

Chris