On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Chris Haensel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Chris Haensel wrote:
>
> > I never thought someone seriously would go the whole way from dev,
> > test and prod servers AND use all the version control stuff.
>
> Oh, it's done quite a lot, I can assure you.
>
> > And being a "good IT professional" to me means: know what
> > you're doing, and take the hits you get.
>
> When the hits become expensive, your thinking will change.  If every
> hour of downtime is EUR100K lost, you don't take the hits you get, you
> make sure you don't get hit :-)
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich
>
> Okay, that is a point I can take :o)

Version/source control and change management are huge issues in many
companies. They will require extensive testing to be done before that code
ever makes it production. Bringing down production webservers or databases
can impact other areas of the business. I work with some of the biggest
retailers in the world and  it would kill the company to have affected/bring
down a production system. If that happens, and it has, we run day and night
with all sorts of folks from the client to  analyze, correct and re-roll
code if needed.

Believe me, no one rolls code without a plan to back it out, in cases its
bad code, and never without approval from other stakeholders in the business
like the webserver people, database people, directors etc.

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat