---- bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've got a question/issue that I want to bounce off the list.
>
> I have a list that extends over multiple pages. there might be 200 items,
> and i don't want to have the items listed on the same page as it would be
> too long. i can break the list up, so i can have it be displayed over
> multiple pages. however, i want the user to select different items
from the
> list. given that the selected items might be over different pages, what's
> the best way of keeping a running track of the items that have been
> selected??
>
> I could have each page be a form, and do a post/get where i then keep
track
> of the selected items from page to page, but that would appear to get
ugly.
> i'm looking for pointers to other sites/code that might have already
> implemented this kind of scenario.

You use a database, form on each page adds to a temp table on the
database, when they have verified them all (if that is something they
can do) OR have finished whatever form/survey you have them doing, then
you write the temp table info to the one you want to keep.

You could do some of that with ajax as well, but if you want to break up
a 200 item list, you are looking at a database to store the info in the
most efficient manner possible.

You could also do it with sessions, but if they get stuck and need to
come back, then if they had to login their session might be different
and they'd have to start over again.

HTH,
Wolf