On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 18:00 +0000, Stut wrote:
> On 9 Nov 2008, at 07:16, Robert Cummings wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 20:26 -0800, bruce wrote:
> >> I've got a question/issue that I want to bounce off the list.
> >>
> >> I have a list that extends over multiple pages. there might be 200
> >> items,
> >> and i don't want to have the items listed on the same page as it
> >> would be
> >> too long. i can break the list up, so i can have it be displayed over
> >> multiple pages. however, i want the user to select different items
> >> from the
> >> list. given that the selected items might be over different pages,
> >> what's
> >> the best way of keeping a running track of the items that have been
> >> selected??
> >>
> >> I could have each page be a form, and do a post/get where i then
> >> keep track
> >> of the selected items from page to page, but that would appear to
> >> get ugly.
> >> i'm looking for pointers to other sites/code that might have already
> >> implemented this kind of scenario.
> >>
> >> thoughts/pointers would be appreciated...
> >
> > Accumulate them in the session. When done, and before final action you
> > could let them view a summary of selected items and allow deletion of
> > any entries they don't want.
>
> Unless they're likely to select hundreds of items I'd either go with a
> persisted GET var or a cookie. No need to drag server-side storage
> into this.

Well he did say he had multiple pages. Maybe he's only displaying 5 per
page though. Still, sessions are easier to manage than GET vars since
you don't need to append them to every form action URL to accumulate
them. Session is managed transparently by PHP in most cases an amounts
to the approximate overhead of an include.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com