On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 16:34,  <c...@l-i-e.com> wrote:

> I often thought PHP would be a nice language for a MUD, if one could get the
> performance out of it...
>
> 'Course you could always write some of the heaviest bits as extensions...

    Indeed.  I had written a very simple control-panel-like Telnet
script in PHP several years ago to handle reboots and emergency
situations, but never scaled it for more than one or two connections.
Resource usage, however, was negligible - a few Kilobytes, really.

    Customize your PHP --- trim out extensions you don't need, write
common routines as extensions to save parsing time, and tune it to be
optimal for the consistent stream of packets sent across the sockets,
and I think a MUD could be very successfully authored in PHP.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.br...@parasane.net || danbr...@php.net